Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Chat with uncle

Yesterday my uncle dropped by at my place and we chatted for awhile. Once i told him that i'm going to new zealand next year, he gave a thumb up. He said the place is so nice and peaceful.... Unlike the younger generation, they would say: "what can you do there? it's like for the old people to stay..." *sweat*

Anyway, the highlight of our conversation was about his children, who are my cousins. He said that his children's grades are dropping and all of them have started dating. He blamed all of this to the invention of:

Handphone (at the same time, check out caryn's new phone)

My uncle said because of handphone, all of my cousins seem unable to concentrate on study. According to him, they need to text at least 5 sms per hour, of course to their bf/gf, and this behavior has greatly impacted their grades. At first, i don't really believe it until i notice my brother also doing the same thing, sigh....

Nobody seems able to live without handphone nowadays, everyone has one, even a primary school kid can hold a 3G phone. 5 years ago when i had my first handphone, i was considered as minority in the class. I didn't have many friends with handphone so the poor ericsson was always remained dormant at my house for most of the time. But now, you can always see the youngsters showing off each other's latest model, forwarding sms-es, exchanging ringtone...anything you can do with the tiny devise.

Back to the main purpose of the invention of handphone, don't you think people have violated its noble objective? which i quote Nokia's tag line: 'Connecting People'. Last time my mum used to threaten me if i didn't study hard she would take away the tv. Now my uncle said if his children show no improvement in the coming exams, he would keep all their handphones. Funny, isn't it?

Handphone itself is a neutral creation, it is human who determine its purpose. Just like a knife, it depends who is the one to hold it, a butcher or a killer?

1 thought:

Zzzyun said...

haha so true. nowadays every kid has a handphone. sometimes even more geng than ours!

i rmb getting my hp when i was in form5. wah, tat time it was sucha precious thing, i took care of it so well lol.