Monday, February 15, 2010

O&G

Just finished my second session at the birthing suite. Unlucky me, still has no chance of watching a woman does the most noble thing on earth, which is to give birth to a baby, normally.

As usual, monday blues, i used enormous of strength to pull me out from the comfy bed and went to birthing suite and hoping there would be some interesting case for me to watch. The session was started pleasantly by meeting a nice male O&G consultant who brought me along with his team to visit a lady who was about to be induced in order to deliver a baby by today. That time i was thinking it's gonna be my lucky day. So i went back to the room to build up some rapport with the mother like what a student should do even though we don't feel like doing it most of the time.

The mother gave me her permission, but she worried that her husband might not be ok with a male student standing in the room during the delivery. Few hours later her husband came and he really was not ok for me to watch his wife giving birth. WTFFFFF........ I'm not doing anything to your wife, for goodness sake, my presence is definitely, utterly, solely on academic purpose. Chill..... so i just let my female colleague went in and watched the delivery. Wasted all the rapport built.

Then another potential case came in. I asked the midwife to get consent from the mother. She said yea. And guess what, she never came back to me until the chief midwife went in and asked her again. The midwife was a real bi*ch! I saw her so many times at the corridor and she could just ignored my request as if it's not important. Hey, i need to fill my log book, ok? Of course with her attitude like that, the mother also turned me down.

However, at least after this incident, i know who shall i rely on and who shall i loathe at. The chief midwife, Rhonda, is the nicest person in the suite. She purposely stayed back after her shift just to make sure the midwives get back to us. After so many big no-no to my face, she even consoled me and said, 'those midwives just don't understand that this is a teaching hospital and they should convince the patients to let you all go in and learn, and it's gonna be harder for you because you are a guy!'

Sexist! Chauvinist!

2 thought:

Swarna said...

You poor thing!! First time i see you swear so much in a post!! That shows how much u hated it!! I hope you get lucky next time or maybe 3rd time lucky perhaps!! :)

mg said...

think margaret, lee, lois and pamela are nice cco as well. just avoid sonia at all cost.

yea i hated bs a lot in 5th cursing everytime i was there and im a female student!!! T__T

i met 2 nice mw dawn n something.. she was like very nice to take students so look out for them. i think some chinese mw are nice as well. just be really nice altho u feel like mad inside.. and help around more. lol..