Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bye bye fungus

Few weeks ago i went to consult a dermatologist in PJ for my patches of hypopigmentation at my back as well as my excessive keratin problem that had been troubling me for approximately 2 years.

The dermatologist was an old bloke and had a small laboratory next to his desk. He didn't ask a lot of questions. After the general examination, he used a cellophane tape and tapped at my back, proceeded with staining and microscoping the specimen that he got on the tape. He asked me to look at it too. I saw several purple circles in clumps surrounded by some cells. The dermatologist described it as grape-shaped (never heard of it before...and he didn't say its scientific name) . He diagnosed it as fungal infection. Later he explained the medicine and cream that he was prescribing to me before i headed out of the room.

Just when i was about to touch the door knob, this dermatologist suddenly asked me lots and lots of personal questions, so i thought he wanted to build last minute rapport and answered him. Mana tau he started giving lecture to me, said what's the most important thing for a medical student lah, don't forget our parents lah, must specialize in the future lah....blah blah blah! Apparently he was an UM's lecturer, no wonder he just couldn't stop all these lecturing. I rather wish he didn't even bother to build rapport with me. Waste my time and my friends' who were waiting outside. We actually wanted to watch a movie after that, but finally had to cancel it because of the 'good advice'. (sorry ah, kajen!)

Now my skin has stopped peeling, and the rashes and hypopigmentation at my body are fading away. I guess the medicine really works. But at the same time, i was forced by james and my mother to eat tomatoes. Why tomatoes? Of all the food in the world, why tomatoes are good for skin? Sigh...for the sake of my smooth, non-peeling skin, even yuckier thing i also need to force it down my throat.

I wonder whether tomatoes or the ketoconazole did the trick. Medicine vs Placebo?



My reward of eating yucky food: Steamy mushroom soup with raisin bun, yummy!

0 thought: