Saturday, July 25, 2009

Life


Few days ago when i was on acute shift, i talked to this patient who was 15 years old and tried to kill herself. She took 15 panadol and 3 aspirin and swallowed it down her throat. Apparently she was diagnosed with depression few years ago, so it was no surprise if she had the tendency to harm herself.

However, her granny didn't seem very happy to have me in the cubicle, so i couldn't take much history from her. I felt like just telling the family member to go out so that the patient could pour everything out to me, but i was too chicken to do so.

Ending a life at the age of 15, isn't too early to farewell this beautiful world? Clearly i can't understand a depressed person's feeling and emotion, hence my word can be bias or judgmental. But i can somehow imagine the dilemma and struggle of a growing teenager, simply because i was a teenager not long ago. It is a critical phase, and yet not many people enjoy going through it. I'm not saying that i had the idea of committing suicide when i was a teenager, in fact, my teenage life was great. At least there were some memories worth keeping.

Today while i was walking towards my school, i suddenly had the feeling of appreciating every single moment in my life. There might be times when everything isn't going as i wish, but i can't wait for the future me to look back and laugh at my current foolishness.

Sunny day with cold breeze, flowery park with children's laughter, a moment seen in today's botanical garden, making me feel like singing, "What a wonderful world....."

2 thought:

Swarna said...

This was just a nice post. even when i met a few people while doing psych who tried to kill themselves i kept wondering what could be so bad you don't want to live in this world but I guess we are the lucky ones huh..despite some ups and downs, I am very grateful for how things have turned out.
:)

CarynBear said...

eeek ... my first posting nex semester is psych ..
scared scared ... =(